I am admitted to practice law in the state of New York and am a member of the New York State Bar Association Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law Section.
I graduated from Seton Hall University School of Law magna cum laude with a concentration in Intellectual Property/Entertainment Law. I am also a graduate of the Southwestern Law School International Entertainment Law program. In addition, I have a master's degree in Music Business from New York University and a bachelor's degree in Philosophy from the University of California at Berkeley.
I published a paper on copyright law, entitled "The Integrity Right of an MP3," which was awarded second place in the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) Nathan Burkan Memorial Competition. I am also a recipient of the American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law Award for Excellence in the Study of Intellectual Property Law.
Prior to attending law school, I worked at several independent record labels, a booking agency for musical artists, and in music retail.
Finally, I have been an artist myself for nearly two decades, which gives me the unique ability to relate to both the talent and business perspectives of music industry transactions. I have been involved in the San Francisco Bay Area and New York City DIY music scenes for many years, and I understand firsthand the challenges facing independent artists and companies attempting to navigate the often-present power imbalance of the music industry.
What I Do:
Provide legal counsel and representation to:
• Artists, performers, songwriters, and composers
• Indie labels and publishing companies
• Artist managers and business managers
• Booking agents and venues
• Producers and engineers
• Others needing legal assistance with music-related matters
With legal aspects of the music industry, such as:
• Drafting, review, and negotiation of contracts, including recording contracts, publishing contracts, producer contracts, artist management contracts, intra-band agreements, performance contracts, distribution deals, licensing, and more
• Copyright and trademark registration, cease-and-desist letters, and other intellectual property issues
• Performing rights organization registration
• Royalty disputes
• Music career consultation
I also accept demos and EPKs.